FG Coop, YOU KNOW!
My first week of work at FG.
I actually started late last week. I met my boss Franco last Tuesday with Danilo to discuss details of what time I will work, when my lunch is, how I will get there, who I will be teaching, etc.
We drove out to Belpasso and it takes about 20 minutes by car. The office is a two-story building with 3 offices upstairs and 2 downstairs. FG Coop is owned and operated by the family Failla. Giovanni Failla started the company (thus “FG”). Giovanni is still present everyday but I am not entirely sure what he does besides stand around with a cigarette in his mouth all the time. He's a nice man, or at least I think he is because he hasn't said much so I really don't know. The next in command is Franco, who is a bit intimidating when you first meet him. He is very “siciliano”. His 2 younger brothers have the other 2 offices upstairs, their names are Massimo and Salvatore. Then there is also Zio Angelo, Giovanni's brother. I am not sure how many other Faillas there are, but I'm sure there are some working out in the yard somewhere.
What I saw when I first entered FG Coop were mountains of old refrigerators and ovens piled high on top of each other. FG specializes in taking old appliances and electronics and removing reusable parts, draining out liquids, and taking them apart to be recycled properly. They also have storage for hazardous wastes. They receive and transport these items from all over Italy. The reason why they wanted to learn English is so that they can expand into foreign markets, primarily Greece and Tunisia I believe.
There are four girls downstairs: Desiree, Laura, Guisi, and Ester. I teach the first 3 because Ester speaks English since she went to school in England for some time. These girls crack me up. They are all young and looove to talk about boys, music, and having fun. They love American culture, so they have lots of questions. They love to go to Sigonella, which is the American Naval Base, to hang out the American boys. We have lunch together everyday, which by the way, is from 1-2:30pm. Once you finish with lunch the day is practically over.
I have to take the subway, then the train to Belpasso. I want to the subway station which takes 15 minutes, then the subway takes about 3 minutes, then I get on the train which takes about 25-30 minutes to get to my stop nearest FG. From there, Desiree picks me up and drives me to the office, which is about 5 minutes away by car. So all in all it takes me about an hour. I leave the house around 7:10 AM and arrive there by 8:30 AM. The other day I actually missed my train and the next one left an hour and half later, oooops! I was there waiting for the train to come on the track that I always take but apparently it used a different track that day so I watched my train leave without knowing that it was mine.
But the lessons are going OK. They are all roughly beginners with the exception of Desiree who is slightly more advanced.
My time is limited on the internet right now so I am going to go!! By they way, is anyone reading this because I don't see any comments!!
I actually started late last week. I met my boss Franco last Tuesday with Danilo to discuss details of what time I will work, when my lunch is, how I will get there, who I will be teaching, etc.
We drove out to Belpasso and it takes about 20 minutes by car. The office is a two-story building with 3 offices upstairs and 2 downstairs. FG Coop is owned and operated by the family Failla. Giovanni Failla started the company (thus “FG”). Giovanni is still present everyday but I am not entirely sure what he does besides stand around with a cigarette in his mouth all the time. He's a nice man, or at least I think he is because he hasn't said much so I really don't know. The next in command is Franco, who is a bit intimidating when you first meet him. He is very “siciliano”. His 2 younger brothers have the other 2 offices upstairs, their names are Massimo and Salvatore. Then there is also Zio Angelo, Giovanni's brother. I am not sure how many other Faillas there are, but I'm sure there are some working out in the yard somewhere.
What I saw when I first entered FG Coop were mountains of old refrigerators and ovens piled high on top of each other. FG specializes in taking old appliances and electronics and removing reusable parts, draining out liquids, and taking them apart to be recycled properly. They also have storage for hazardous wastes. They receive and transport these items from all over Italy. The reason why they wanted to learn English is so that they can expand into foreign markets, primarily Greece and Tunisia I believe.
There are four girls downstairs: Desiree, Laura, Guisi, and Ester. I teach the first 3 because Ester speaks English since she went to school in England for some time. These girls crack me up. They are all young and looove to talk about boys, music, and having fun. They love American culture, so they have lots of questions. They love to go to Sigonella, which is the American Naval Base, to hang out the American boys. We have lunch together everyday, which by the way, is from 1-2:30pm. Once you finish with lunch the day is practically over.
I have to take the subway, then the train to Belpasso. I want to the subway station which takes 15 minutes, then the subway takes about 3 minutes, then I get on the train which takes about 25-30 minutes to get to my stop nearest FG. From there, Desiree picks me up and drives me to the office, which is about 5 minutes away by car. So all in all it takes me about an hour. I leave the house around 7:10 AM and arrive there by 8:30 AM. The other day I actually missed my train and the next one left an hour and half later, oooops! I was there waiting for the train to come on the track that I always take but apparently it used a different track that day so I watched my train leave without knowing that it was mine.
But the lessons are going OK. They are all roughly beginners with the exception of Desiree who is slightly more advanced.
My time is limited on the internet right now so I am going to go!! By they way, is anyone reading this because I don't see any comments!!


9 Comments:
At 9:42 PM,
Anonymous said…
Brava! Uncle Bob.
At 8:50 AM,
Anonymous said…
I check it every day to see if there is a new posting. I fwd the link to 3 others that are checking it. My ex-boss's brother in law is from, I think, Sicily. I'll check on that. Anyway, enjoy yourself, it sounds like things are going pretty good. Be very careful, too! We miss you. Take care. Love, sally
At 12:46 PM,
Anonymous said…
PS - I check your blog at least twice a day for updates. Have a Limone gelato for me! Uncle Bob
At 12:51 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hi, Karen! I don't read your blog everyday, but since I had time today...I did...Sounds most interesting! Wanted you to know that someone is reading what you write! Take care & Have fun! Ciao for now, Marilyn
At 10:37 PM,
Anonymous said…
Buona serra, Karen. Please send me your address so I can plot it on Google Earth. Grazie tante, Uncle Bob.
At 2:02 PM,
Anonymous said…
Don't worry, we read it all the time! We check it almost daily to see if you've posted anything!
At 7:57 AM,
Anonymous said…
Hi Karen,
I have tried to leave a comment before, but don't know if it took or not....sounds like you're having lots of adventures!
Fun times for the American girl in Italy! :)
We're thinking of you...what do you miss the most about the states, besides an "American breakfast" at 4am?
Kelly
At 1:06 PM,
Anonymous said…
Ciao Karen,
Glad to hear that you have started work and found a way to get there.
You had expressed concerns about that. Has the weather changed yet?
We are definately in Fall mode now. Expecting rain tomorrow.
We arrived home after an extreemly long time. (I think close to 26 hours full travel time.)Had a wonderful time with you in Taormina. The was the highlight of our trip. I love the pics you are posting. I will showing our pics at Thanksgiving (of course). Will miss you. Take care of yourself.
OXOX Auntie Shaula
At 5:18 PM,
Anonymous said…
Ciao, Karen. So glad you are able to get around the country. Buona fortuna. Uncle Bob.
Post a Comment
<< Home